Kids aren’t the only ones who should be having fun in the summer. Unplug the technology, use some of that vacation or personal time and relax!
Kids are getting out of school, and family vacations, beach outings, BBQs and many other fun summer activities we all love to do are in full swing. Although most of us work during the summer, it’s also a time to enjoy and relax.
Learning to truly unwind and unplug will help us become happier and more balanced, and recharge our physical and spiritual batteries. Psychotherapist and positive living expert Diane Lang, author of the book, Creating Balance and Finding Happiness, offers 10 ways to truly relax this summer.
1. Take some time to spend outdoors. When we spend our time in nature, it naturally calms us and gives us a feeling of inner peace. The bonus is natural sunlight, which gives us our vitamin D – great for the bones and a mood booster.
2. Unplug from technology. Use the summer as an excuse to be in vacation mode. Even if you only can do this once a week, take that time to connect to nature by unplugging from technology.
3. Start a fitness program that is fun and adventurous. Go hiking, bike riding, etc. Do something new and fun! Make it better by bringing a friend.
4. Slow down. It’s summer; start living mindfully by doing one task at a time, enjoying the beauty around you and living in the moment.
5. Spend time with friends and family. Set up date nights and fun nights! The days are longer, so it’s a great time to really go out and have fun!
6. Do activities you really love. Read the book you never had time to, take a day trip to a new town and see new sights or go to the beach and relax. Whatever brings you “flow.” This is the time to do it.
7. Step outside of your comfort zone. Try something new. It can be something simple like trying a new drink or food or going to a new restaurant. Every time we try something new, we take a risk and feel a boost of happiness.
8. Use up your personal time from work and have some free time with no expectations. It doesn’t matter if you go on vacation or just take a walk; just enjoy some time off!
9. Create some “me time.” I wake up 10 minutes earlier in the summer to sit outside on my deck with my coffee and just enjoy the silence. All you need to do is take 10-15 minutes a day for you!
10. Breathe. Even with nice weather and longer days, we still can get stressed. So, when you feel the stress coming, take a moment to close your eyes and take a deep breath. It works!
10 Ways to Relax This Summer